Sunday, November 29, 2015

My Love of Poppies

Hi, Everyone,

Recently I was given a black Dylusions Square Journal from my dear friend.  I knew then it was the perfect Journal to showcase my Love of Poppies because of the black background.  Adding hand or machine stitching to my Art Books makes me happy. . . so does adding beautiful cross-stitched or embroidered pieces to the pages.

I wrote My Love of Poppies with a pencil on antique linen then used black embroidery floss to hand stitch the words.  When I saw these Wood Hoops made by Crate Paper I knew I had to have them.  They perfectly highlight the title.


I cut out a square window on the first page to give a little sneak peek of the page to come.
The window was outlined with a blanket stitch using red variegated embroidery floss.


To create a collage on the upper right corner, I used 7 Gypsies Gaffer Tape and machine stitched pieces of scrap Mixed Media Paper.  The felted poppy connects the wooden hoop with the window.


Below is the first cross-stitched poppy mounted with Scor-Tape patiently waiting to be decorated another day.  


This is one of many ongoing Art Books that will evolve over time.

Have fun creating!

3 comments:

  1. Kathleen, I also have a love for poppies! What a fantastic idea! I'd love to create a book with my collection of poppy paraphanelia! I'll be watching for your progress on this. Judy at hehjude53@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poppies are truly beautiful, maybe it's my Ukrainian heritage that makes them so dear to me. I definitely will be adding to that Poppy Journal. The black pages really show off the stitching!

      Delete
  2. Kathleen, I also have a love for poppies! What a fantastic idea! I'd love to create a book with my collection of poppy paraphanelia! I'll be watching for your progress on this. Judy at hehjude53@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete