Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Altered Washboard


Hi, Everyone,

It’s Technique Tuesday!

Do you love antique watch faces, pocket watches, & watch parts but don’t have any idea what to do with them? Well . . . Treasured Memories is the place for you. They have lots of vintage watch faces, pocket watches, & watch parts & the store has beautiful altered art pieces on display to inspire that altered artist within you!

I decided to show you how to use some of those unique found treasures in your artwork by altering a vintage Washboard. Equally as important is knowing which adhesive to use & when to use it. Daryl’s unique found treasures in the Cabinet of Curiosities are tantalizing to say the least.

Let’s begin.

DSCN3797

DSCN3793
Glossy Accents - When creating with tiny watch parts you want a glue that will dry clear so you can see those intricate pieces. Spread a generous amount of Glossy Accents on the front of your pocket watch & place your watch parts in Glossy Accents & let them air dry. This will take several hours. If you add more Glossy Accents on top of your watch parts, they will look like they are encased in glass.

DSCN3799
Crackle Accents - This product is very similar to Glossy Accents except when it is dry, it looks like Crackled or broken glass which adds quite a unique look to your project.

DSCN3800
Fabri-tac - This is my absolute favourite product for gluing heavy metal trinkets to my projects. I have heavy metal embellishments glued to canvas & wood on several pieces I have created. Twelve years later they are still intact & hanging on my walls. On this washboard piece everything (except the tiny watch parts) is attached with Fabri-tac including the paper & all the embellishments. Love those watch faces . . . they are great embellishments!

DSCN3796
Vials - Love watch parts? Then why not put them in a vial to enjoy, even create a “time” label for your vial to capture that specific moment in time.

DSCN3795
Flower Centres - Now that’s a novel idea to glue watch parts to flower centres to make your project one-of-a-kind . . . very unique & very distinctive.

DSCN3798
Add some vintage photos for nostalgia & there you have it . . . a stunning altered art piece!

Stay tuned for future postings featuring other techniques & what you can create with the vintage treasures, found curiosities, & unique ephemera . . . all of which can be found at Treasured Memories.

Have fun creating!

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks. Now that I've taken it off my wall to bring in to Treasured Memories I guess there's nothing left to do but . . . create some more!
      Thanks for stopping by & leaving a comment. They always make my day!

      Delete
  2. A fabulous piece of art and great tips. I love the washboard idea and the way you have displayed all your elements. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a lovely comment, I so appreciate it. Just off to become a follower.
    hugs {brenda} x0x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great to share art & inspire others.
      I too look forward to what you create.
      Thanks for stopping by.
      Kathleen

      Delete
  3. What a great make and I LOVE the idea of it! Great description too, thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love altering those vintage finds... wait until you see the iron I've been challenged to alter!
      Thanks for stopping by.
      Kathleen

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous piece! I don't think I have actually seen a washboard in person, so that alone caught my eye, but all the details and care you put into this piece is awesome. Hope it hangs in a great place! Happy Easter!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love going antique shopping & this washboard was one of my finds. I cannot imagine actually doing laundry on that thing. Our poor grandparents - they really had to work hard. I love how it turned out & I tell my husband that those 2 elderly people in the photos will be he & I some day. He roared out loud laughing. That lady looks kind of cranky though!
      Kathleen

      Delete