Friday, April 29, 2016

Art Journal Page "Remember the Past"

Hi, Everyone,

I have acquired lots of vintage books over the years at second hand and antique stores.  The good ones will be displayed proudly in my living room bookshelves once I actually get a living room.  The not so good ones I purchased to create Art Journals with.

Below is a very thick vintage Anna Karenina book with a red leather cover.  The inside pages are a beautiful sepia colour.  The challenge for me is to create without dimensional embellishments.  This is extremely difficult for me.  I've torn out 4 pages before and 4 pages after this layout to allow for the thickness of the collage.  Every time you add more paper layers to the book, the thicker it gets, so remember to tear out pages as you go.

I used white gesso to slightly obscure the writing, but I do want to see it in the background.  Then I selected various pieces of ephemera from my large stash of paper.  It is so hard not to choose metal or 3D embellishments.  This book will contain art journal pages of collage using papers and washi tape, or anything flat I can find.

Have a look below.




I love using a Sharpie Fine Pen Marker to create stitching on the layout.  The washi tape also adds interest.

Have fun creating and start using those scraps!



6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The hardest part is creating with no 3-D embellishments. Very very difficult for me. This art journal book will really work my creative process.

      Delete
  2. I especially love the ''text'' here...beautifully ''painterly''....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. The script is handwritten using a Fineline Applicator (bottle) filled with 1/2 black fluid paint and 1/2 fluid medium. I absolutely love how the script looks on the page.

      Delete
  3. This is inspiring. I am fond of altering books and this idea is nice and simple. I have a tendency to complicate my pages with texture and paint that require drying time before being able to finish. Definitely going to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very impatient and like to see results fast. For me there's nothing worse than watching paint dry, even with a heat tool. A light coat of gesso dries fast and collaging works well in altered books. It's a great way to scrapbook, art journal, or simply alter a book. Have fun creating!

      Delete